Monday, September 29, 2008

A Not So Date Night

This is what sat across from me on my "date night" at a fancy restaurant tonight:

And to my left:
I planned a last minute date night tonight so Mike and I could use a gift card that was about to expire. I didn't have a babysitter for Caroline...so we, unwisely, decided to include her in our date. It is one thing to have your squealing baby squirm and grab silverware and throw toys on the floor at Moe's. It is a different thing entirely at a very nice restaurant.


Our (extremely patient) waiter kept our food warm while Mike took Caroline out to try and walk her to sleep. So I spent most of the evening waiting at the table, playing with my camera and snacking on Gerber sweet potato puffs. I'm sure I looked very sophisticated to the other diners.

When Mike and a very wide awake Caroline finally returned to the table, the squealing seemed to have subsided, and we made the best of it. Once she was quiet and we weren't worried about totally annoying the people around us, it was actually a lot of fun to watch Caroline try to eat her first finger food (the sweet potato puffs) and speculate about what other people were saying about us. But, needless to say, next time we'll just let the gift card expire!

Our "family date night".

5 comments:

JABraley said...

next time, just call us and we'd love to have our own "date" with Caroline while you two have a real date :)

hmferrero said...

you could call me too if they're busy.

:)

Julie said...

You can always bring her to my house of kids!!

HP said...

Um, Suzanna....I could've totally kept her. I mean, she and Cash could've kept each other occupied.

Steve, Monica, Lacie and Nathan Allen said...

Hey...you know we would have LOVED to watch Caroline...what a treat but then again, it would be putting her on a plane for a 18-hour plane ride...not yet, huh??? :)
Man...we can totally relate...we tried going out to eat since we have been in Jo'burg for a meal, no fancy place, either, but Nathan wants to keep moving. We are in trouble! :)