Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Fishing Again

Grandpa

Grandpa with his grandkids (L to R: Me, Julie, Evan, Jill, Katie)


I have been fortunate live 29 years with all four of my grandparents alive and an active part of my life. Today, my grandpa died around 5 AM. He had a degenerative brain disease and several physical ailments so he had become very sad and very confused over the last few years--it was time for him to go. His two children, my dad and my aunt, and my grandma were with him--and I know he is so much happier in heaven than he has been here the last few weeks. I like to think that my brother got up early (which would be rare!) today and was waiting for him. They've probably already gotten their rods and reels and are out on the lake--although, they'll only be out there for a little while before Grandpa will decide there is work to be done. Grandpa has always valued a good day's work and didn't believe in sitting around very much. Evan will be on the lawnmower by this afternoon! (I know that's silly, but heaven is hard to comprehend--it's easier to think of it in earthly terms and just wait until we get there to see how much better it is!)
Even though he has been barely aware the last few weeks, Grandpa was lucid on Monday night when Mike, Caroline, and I went to visit him in hospice. He had seen Caroline several times before, but was always hesitant to hold her--on Monday night when I held her in front of him for him to look at her, he laughed and reached out to take her. She let him hold her close to his face for a minute before she got restless. He played with her and talked to her several more times that night. I don't think he really know for sure who we were, but he was still able to carry on a normal conversation, and I showed him a picture of Cole, his newest great-grandbaby that was born that day. (Julie, he said he was a "good lookin' fella"!) By yesterday afternoon when I saw him again, he had pretty much gone to sleep for the last time.

Although this video is dark and grainy, it is one of my favorites. You can't see in the video, but Caroline was pretty amused by Grandpa.




Goodbye, Grandpa--we will miss you, but we are so glad your body is well and you are able to work and enjoy the good things again. Take care of Evan!

16 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Suzanna. Such a sweet video and wonderful that Caroline has that to look at in the future. We are thiking of you and your family and praying for your time together.

Jenn said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. We are thinking of you and your family.

HP said...

Suzy-Q, I'm so sorry. I'll call you soon to find out arrangements. Love you,
HP

Josh and Donna said...

that was such a sweet post about your grandpa (and your brother). we're praying for your family!

Whitlamy said...

Oh Suzanna, I'm so sorry for you and your family. Your grandpa sounds like such a sweet man. I'll be praying for good memories to overcome the sad times of saying goodbye for now.

Sandy P said...

Great prespective on his life. It is always nice when you can celebrate a long lived life, but it also hard to think of living without him. We will be thinking and praying for your family this week.

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about your grandfather but so happy that he is with Evan in a much better place. You will all be in our prayers.

hmferrero said...

suzanna - so sorry for your loss. i'm glad you all got to see him before he went home for good. we'll be praying for you & your family.

Bill & Stacie said...

Suzanna and Family
I am sorry for your loss, but it seems like you have great memories to carry you through. What a nice video of him with Caroline.

Leslie L. said...

I know you'll miss your Grandpa. It made me smile to think of him and Evan fishing. His face was so lit up in the video with Caroline!Ever since my Grandma died, I like to imagine her running through beautiful fields of flowers in heaven. I never knew her when she was able to run, but I just know she is enjoying her heavenly body.

Anonymous said...

Suzanna, sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather. You wrote such a touching story about him (and Evan). It was tomorrow a year ago I lost my dear grandmother who was also under hospice care. It's such a true blessing to know that they are well with our Father in heaven! I've loved reading your blog! Daniel and I will be praying for you and your dear family.

A Cincy Mama said...

Love to you, my dear, dear friend and to your family. I loved reading your tribute to Grandpa and the image of him and Evan together again. Reminds me of that precious picture of them mowing the grass when your brother was little. Mom and Dad will see you at the visitation. I told my mom to hug you extra long and hard from me. I love you always, sweet Suz.

Laurie said...

Grandpa and Evan always had such a special bond. I know they are really enjoying being together right now in heaven.

Andria said...

What a great post, in spite of your loss - it felt like a celebration of a great life lived long and well. You are very foruntate to have had all of your grandparents actively in your life for so long. It made me smile thinking of them fishing together. I hope you and your family find the comfort you need in the great memories of your grandfather and the support of loved ones that clearly surround you. Thinking of you.

Alaskiana said...

What a beautiful post! Love you bunches!!

Angel said...

Catching up...

I'll be praying for your family, especially your Daddy. I'm so happy that Granpa got to hold Caroline before he met Jesus and was reunited with Evan. That was a special gift from the Lord.

We'll talk soon...we just got back from Florida. What a trip! Love ya!