Tuesday, April 22, 2008

3 Incidents and a Funeral

We had a full weekend in the Trice family--so full that it dragged into Monday! We were glad we got to spend another day with Dad, but not so glad about the reasons. We got of to a fun start on Friday when we had dinner with the Tipton family, some of our friends from CCA:
and on Saturday when we celebrated our friend, Jeff's, birthday

Jeff cut his tool themed cake with a real knife.

Caroline and Jeff's wife, Courtney, chatting it up after the party.

But things went south on Sunday when I got sick--really sick. I don't remember ever feeling that bad. Fortunately, it was gone in 24 hours, and I am 100% better. But with Daddy in charge of Caroline and a needy Mommy, poor Caroline spent a lot of time in the swing engaging her new favorite pastime, sucking her fingers...


Somewhere in the mix, I had misplaced my car key, (it was only a matter of time before I lost it as it was broken and detached from the rest of my keys...having a new one made was such an ordeal we hadn't gotten around to it) and it was Monday morning before Mike finally gave up on finding it. But with no spare key to copy, the whole car had to make the trip to the dealership...



...and all of this had to be done in time for us to make it to my hometown Monday afternoon in time for the funeral of my dad's cousin, Ted, (whose suffering from ALS ended Friday when he got to heaven) and a visit to my 87 year old grandmother who fell and broke her back last week. Granny is not at all pleased about the mandantory 3 week nursing home stay while she recovers, and we aren't either as the accomodations are not impressive. My mom and aunt have done a lot to make her little room more liveable, but the rest of the facility is nothing short of gross. We even opted to change Caroline's diaper in the parking lot rather than in the building.




But the trip did allow for one of our favorite things, some Ellie lovin'!




And visiting with some of our other favorite folks too...


Caroline thought Grandma Luke was hilarious!


Aunt Sandy got in on the fun too!

And, in the midst of it all, Caroline picked up a new skill: swatting at her toys...



But sometimes she looks like she thinks they might swat her back...

6 comments:

A Cincy Mama said...

Man, lots in that post..and it did answer all those questions. I am so glad you are feeling better. Love, love the pic of Caroline with Grandma and the videos are precious.

HP said...

Oh my goodness, Suzanna! You need to tell me these things. (nevermind, you didn't have time) I know all about grandmother's with broken backs. I'll be praying for you all throughout the healing process because it's a lot to deal with. Do you need anything? After tomorrow my last assignment will be turned in and school's out for summer for me!

Anonymous said...

So glad you are feeling better, Suzanna - it's hard being sick with a little one!! Also, so sorry to hear about Granny - please let her know I am thinking of her and keep me posted on her recovery (Michael forgets a lot, remember? =) Miss Caroline is growing even since I was there a couple weeks ago - what a precious smile!! Give her hugs & kisses from Gogo.

A Cincy Mama said...

Hope Granny is doing better. I was really sorry to hear that the facility isn't the best.

Anonymous said...

It looks like she is growing up so quickly! Sorry to hear about Grandma, Even here in WPB I have never been in a "pleasant" nursing home. From a nurses perspective just make sure somebody from the family stays with her 24/7 (take shifts) and she will get good care. Well we have some exciting news in the Curry Family, Do you think Caroline could use one more Cousin?
Love you guys, we will be in ATL for July 4th, would love to see you all.
Missy & Rob

JABraley said...

CUTE video! Arn't they hilarious!