Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My HUGE Baby

Most people would not consider my 8 pound, 8 ounce baby huge. Especially because at 2 months old, she is in the 10th percentile for her weight. (So out of 100 randomly selected 2 month old girls, 90 would be bigger than Caroline.) But for me, having watched her almost double in size over the last 9 weeks, she seems HUGE. Last night, we put her in the Moses basket that my friend Amanda lent us (I love the idea that, even though Caroline and Amanda's daughter, Julia, are in different states, they spent their earliest days sleeping in the same spot.) for the first time in a couple of weeks. I could not believe how much more space she occupied than she did just a few weeks ago! This was taken about seven weeks ago when Caroline was around two weeks old:



This was last night:

This is one of the hospital shirts that she lived in for two weeks before we went out to buy her preemie clothes. The sleeves were so big her arms would not always stay in them, and the shirt would pull down and cover her knees.


This is the same shirt now. It has 3/4 length sleeves and just reaches the top of her diaper.

I know it has been nine weeks, but I missed the moment when we transformed from a brand new family, fresh from the hospital to the parents of a wide eyed, chunky cheeked, smiling, cooing, HUGE baby!

Now, don't get me wrong. I am very happy with this "new" baby. In fact, I seem to somehow love her even more now than I did then. Sometimes I wonder if it is normal to love your baby as much as I do...
Is it normal to almost look forward to the 4 AM wake up call on the baby monitor because it means you get to go pick her up?

Is it normal to realize an hour and a half has passed and you have done nothing but stare at her and try to make her smile?

Is it normal to look in the mirror and realize you have given up, to varying degrees, your body, your career, your social life, your right to a good night's sleep, your clean (sometimes) house, and even your scented fabric softener for her--and not have even one tiny ounce of regret?

As abnormal as it feels, I suspect this is totally normal--and what being a parent is all about.

4 comments:

Whitlamy said...

I say it's all normal except for looking forward to the 4am wake up call. Me and my lazy bottom will NEVER look forward to a 4am wake up call. Hey...Bryce was exactly 8lbs. 8 oz when he was born. Imagine birthing that sucker!! Caroline is a CUTIE-PIE!!! How'd she do with her shots? Or, better question, how'd her momma do?

Valerie said...

Totally normal. And you'll never lose that feeling. A few weeks ago Megan started waking up at 3 am (now know it was a horrible ear infection) and I would hold her and rock her and try to comfort her, and you know - I cherished every bleary eyed exhausted moment of it because I know one day she'll won't want me to rock her. But for now - that's my special reward. And after a year, every night before I go to bed I go in and just watch her sleep and pray over her and just stand there amazed at how much I love her. The silliest things make me cry because it makes me realize that I love that little girl more than I realized I was capable of. So, love on her and enjoy every moment!!!!! It's such a blessing. (and I couldn't stop watching her at church sunday - she was so precious!)

Laurie said...

Yes.yes.yes. and amen, sister. that's all I have to say on the subject!

A Cincy Mama said...

You are so totally, wonderfully normal! Love you and your ability to express yourself in words. Sometimes, I feel as though I've been talking with you (just like after one of the vm messages you are famous for :0) after reading your posts.